Monday 6 February 2012

Snow Dyeing 2012

Well it happened, snow fell and the opportunity to do some snow dyeing was too great to resist.
It was the wrong kind of snow, not icy enough and "fluffy" however I carried on. I normally lay fabrics onto a mesh tray so that the fabric doesn't stay sat in the dye. Today as I had only prepared about a metre of fabric I stuffed it into a large cullender and crammed the snow on top.
This was procion deep purple and I had mixed two different strengths.
It doesn't take long for the dye to begin to move into the fibres.
I decided to put this mix outside, the plan being that the snow would freeze again.
I did a lime green mix but this wasn't in a very high pot so I was unable to cram as much snow on top.
Daisy was very interested in what I was doing. I rinsed off the green today and am a bit disappointed  in the results. Fantastic colour but not much texture and marks in the cloth. The purple still has ice on it and is looking much more promising. Results soon.

Angela x

4 comments:

  1. What a great technique, unfortunately, or maybe I should say fortunately, we don't get snow here very often. Maybe it would work with ice blocks. Looking forward to seeing the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen anything like this..I'm not sure what the process is. Do you pour the die on top of the snow? I can't wait to see how the purple turned out. And the pink fabrics on the post below are spectacular...himmm, you're giving me some ideas..thx for that, glad I stopped by to see what you are up to, thx, june

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was Daisy with that white fur I wouldn't have gone anywhere need that lime snow!! Looking forward to seeing more and to unwrapping my second attempt when it thaws.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued to see what the fabric turns out like. I completely forgot about doing anything like that when the snow fell here!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. It is lovely to get feedback from anyone. I would love to reply to comments so keep checking back.